Prof. Kalamandalam Leelamma is a well-known performer in India and abroad for more then three decades! She has performed Mohiniyattam extensively in India and foreign countries such as Great Britain, France and Gulf Countries (f.ex.: Sanskriti Dohar in Quatar / Nrithyautsav in Kuwait).
Prof. Kalamandalam Leelamma has graced the most famous stages. Her performance in India includes leading festivals such as:
• Soorya Festival / Nisagandhi Festival / Malabar Mahotsav (Calicut) / Mudra Festival / Swati Tirunal dance and Music festival / Thunchan festival (Tirur)
• Thanjavua Festival connected by S.Z.C.C. (South Zone Cultural Centre) Government of India / Manali Festival connected by N.Z.C.C. (North Zone cultural Centre) Government of India
• the Khajuraho Festival of Dances (Madhya Pradesh) / Mahabalipuram Festival (Chennai) / Dance and Music Festival of Chennai / National Dance Festival of selected Dancers connected by Sangeetha Nakada Academy New Dehli / Shanmukha Nanda Hall Festival (Mumbai) / Dasrafestival (Mysore) / Sirsi Festival of Dance and Music Karnataka / Festival of India (Pragathi Maidan)
*as same the PATA Festival, an important international dance festival in which perform dancers from all over India in the stage before the tourist experts from more then 50 countries!
Innovations in Choreography
Prof. Kalamandalam Leelamma is very involved in developing new, contemporary and creative choreographies in the field of Mohiniyattam.
She is very deep in the research of Mohiniyattam, made remarkable outcomes in the history of Mohiniyattam and combines this important knowledge with the here and now of life. Along with new items of choreography, she is engaged in composing the classics by great Poets and as a result she had composed:
• Achtapati of Geetha Govindam the great poet of India.
• Thunchathu Ramanujan Ezhuthachan (Ramayana)
• Kalyana Sougandhikam of Kunchan Nambiar
• Leela and Veena Poovu of Kumaran Assan
• Magdalana Mariyyam and many small poems of Vallathole
• Mambazham of Vailopilly Sreedhara Menon
• Ujjaini of ONV Kurup
• Narayaneeyam of Melpathur Narayana Bhatathiri
Also she composed and choreographed
• “Ashadathinette Jwala” (The flame of Ashada) a poem by the contemporary poet Kilimanoor Madhu based on the life and works of the great poet Kalidasa
• 20 more varnams, also by the Kilimanoor Madhu
In addition to she composed scores of Slokas, Padams, Varnams (f.ex. Thulaseevanam) and Tillana.
Demonstration about Mohiniyattam
Prof. Kalamandalam Leelamma Teacher offers comprehensive and impassioned demonstration about Mohiniyattam in India and abroad. On the one hand, she explains the history, the basics and the main technical aspects of Mohiniyattam. On the other side, she presents the new results of research and shows excerpts of important items in Mohiniyattam.
The demonstration helps for getting a general and fundamental idea about the art form Mohiniyattam.
Particularly foreigner loves this kind of demonstration. They get an idea about the tradition of India, which helps to enjoy and grasp the complex art form of Mohiniyattam.